The man who allegedly broke into the house of a woman in Adelaide has been charged with aggravated assault.

Key points:The man, who is not named, allegedly broke down a woman, who was asleep in her home, and tried, but failed, to rape and sexually assault her, Adelaide Police saidA police spokesperson said the man had been on parole for some timeThe woman had been asleep in the house when the alleged attack happened, police saidThe man has been arrested and is due to appear in the Adelaide Magistrates Court on February 17.

He is expected to appear before the court on Monday.

Police said the woman was asleep when the incident happened on February 5 at around 9:00am.

The man broke down the door and went inside, where he allegedly attempted to sexually assault the woman, and attempted to rape the woman when she woke up.

He allegedly attempted a sexual assault on the woman in a nearby house, before returning to the home.

The woman reported the incident to the police, who sent a patrol vehicle to the house.

He has been remanded in custody pending further enquiries.

Police believe the incident is linked to a previous incident on the same street on February 4 when a woman had her bedroom window broken.

She was sleeping in her room when the window was broken.

Topics:crime,law-crime-and-justice,australia,aurelton-3050,southport-4215,dubbo-3340More stories from South Australia